Bitter Lake

Writes of Way isn’t just about street names (or just about names, for that matter). So… here is our first post on a body of water! As recounted in Bitter Place N, Bitter Lake was so named because, according to HistoryLink,

A small, lake-bound sawmill operation at the southwest corner of Bitter Lake contracted with the Puget Mill and Brown Bay Logging Company to process their lumber cut from nearby forests. The tannic acid from logs dumped into the lake was so bitter that horses refused to drink from it, thus giving the 20-acre pond its name.

Its native name is čʼalqʼʷadiʔ, meaning ‘blackcaps on the sides’.

Short Place S

This, well, short street in the Leschi neighborhood originates in Wood’s Supplemental Plat of Blocks 16 and 17, Burke’s 2nd Addition to Seattle, filed in 1887 by, among others, William D. Wood (1858−1917) and his wife, Emma Wallingford Wood (1859−1949). William, who was later mayor of Seattle from 1896 to 1897, was one of the principal developers of the Green Lake neighborhood; Emma was the daughter of John Noble Wallingford (1833–1913), after whom the Wallingford neighborhood and Wallingford Avenue N are named.

Short Place S begins at S Jackson Street and goes about 425 feet south to S King Street.