This, well, short street in the Leschi neighborhood originates in Wood’s Supplemental Plat of Blocks 16 and 17, Burke’s 2nd Addition to Seattle, filed in 1887 by, among others, William D. Wood (1858−1917) and his wife, Emma Wallingford Wood (1859−1949). William, who was later mayor of Seattle from 1896 to 1897, was one of the principal developers of the Green Lake neighborhood; Emma was the daughter of John Noble Wallingford (1833–1913), after whom the Wallingford neighborhood and Wallingford Avenue N are named.
Short Place S begins at S Jackson Street and goes about 425 feet south to S King Street.
Born and raised in Seattle, Benjamin Donguk Lukoff had his interest in local history kindled at the age of six, when his father bought him settler granddaughter Sophie Frye Bass’s Pig-Tail Days in Old Seattle at the gift shop of the Museum of History and Industry. He studied English, Russian, and linguistics at the University of Washington, and went on to earn his master’s in English linguistics from University College London. His book of rephotography, Seattle Then and Now, was published in 2010. An updated version came out in 2015.